Did I really hear that?
I've always liked the Star Wars movies. Even though the newer trilogy does not compare to the excitement of the original, it's as good a space opera as I've ever seen. I remember when I was a kid, all of the talk about the original trilogy being the middle bit of a nine-part series. I though it was a fantastic thing. Star Wars would seem to go on forever. Then when the new series was being made, he started to claim that he never said anything about nine episodes. Did I just dream it? Was it just an urban myth like Mikey dying from taking Pop-Rocks and Cola?
A Slight Change of Gears:
I'm at a point now, politically, where I'm beginning to believe I should just go along with the Bush supporters, because there's not a damn thing that I can say to them about mistakes made in Iraq that seem to be true to them. I remember that before we invaded Iraq, it was about WMD's. When we did not find them, we were told that it was never about WMD's it was about, fighting terrorism, then about freeing the Iraqi people. Did I really hear those things or were they just parts of another Urban Myth?
In his state of the union speech, Bush identified Iraq, Iran and North Korea as an "axis of evil." He vows that the U.S. "will not permit the world's most dangerous regimes to threaten us with the world's most destructive weapons."
Despite finding no WMD's, and truth being stretched beyond recognition over this whole mess. Many of my diehard conservative friends (yeah, I have a few) would say, "No, no, no. It was never like that at all."
Eventually, Bush said that the US would leave Iraq when the government was able to take over. Lately Bush has been saying that he won't make a timeline for withdrawl of Iraq.
I'd like to point out for the record that it was no rumor that George Lucas was "supposed" to make nine Star Wars episodes. On the inside of the gatefold sleeve of my original Empire Strikes Back LP, there are linernotes which explain why everyone thought that 9 was the magic number,
"The new motion picture is a further episode in an epic adventure spanning forty years. The whole adventure is divided into three trilogies, with STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as the first two parts of the middle trilogy."
Unless I am wrong, the LP release was a fairly official marketing release for Lucas and company.
But how about that other elusive George, the one we call President? Should I look for quotes to post and links to what was said all along? Bah! Why waste the time, right? Truth is up for grabs. Ultimately, don't the victors deserve the spoils of rewriting history?
Well, I'd like a little truth. It seems to be lacking in so many arenas these days, but ultimately the fight reminds me how small and powerless I really am to make any kind of a difference. The one thing that I'm hoping for is that in this era of mass information, the victors no longer write history toward their own ends. Someday all of this will be corrected and typeset and Truth will live again, hopefully before too many more have to die during its absence. And maybe someday the Urban Myths will be about movie trilogies Pop Rocks and aligators in the sewers again.


1 Comments:
I am amazed you someone got politics and Star Wars together in the same post and actually made it make sense.
Post a Comment
<< Home