Friday, August 12, 2005

Darwin, Lose or Draw

The Intelligent Design "debate" seems to be heating up. President Bush recently weighed in on the issue, then Time & Newsweek published articles this past week. Time's article took more than a page. Even the History Channel showed a new program called, From Ape to Man, about the history of the search for human ancestors. It's a fine show, very interesting really, but there is some talk about Homo Erectus (aka Homo Ergaster in Africa) having first used fire. I tend to believe it was Homo Heidelbergensis who first used fire, but hey, what am I? A caveman specialty-guy?


The screwing around with our schools is a constant, of course. Censorship is just a way of life in state sponsored education. The big sports debate of, "who spray-painted 'your school sucks' on the outside walls? The rival school or the coach trying to get our guys riled up?' will happen every couple of years. But science is science, and despite the constant change when new discoveries are made, I can't abide morons messing with one of the most precious pieces of the education of our youth.

"Part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," the President said, clearly helping out his base again. Pussy.

* 1-Dad, 2-Mom, 3-Sis, 4-Me, 5-Cousin Grog

The idea of bringing what is called Intelligent Design into classrooms is an aboration of education. Not everything that is taught is fact. We have liberal arts, such as the study of literature and philosophy, for the world of ideas. I don't understand why it's even an issue. God, or the myth of God, symply does not belong in science class anymore than the idea that the world is on the back of a giant turtle belongs in science class. Science is supposed to be a study of facts, sometimes elusive, but always to the best of our ability. Throwing the idea of some "creator" is silliness beyond compare.


Why is it so hard for the public to imagine a world with no heaven? It's easy if you try. No hell below us, above us only sky. The "debate" is getting old and tired. As a matter of fact, I'm going to state something that I've skirted around with for a while, but have not made quite so public. Although it means I'll never be able to run for public office, and at least one or two people who happen upon this entry will feel that I'm bound for hell, here it is:

People, there is no God. Wake up and deal with it! You're holding onto tired superstitions. Trying to dispell science is not going to work. Give it up!!! IT'S TOO BLOODY LATE TO TURN BACK TO THE DARK AGES!!! Knock it off already!


The "holes" in evolution do not prove that evolution is flawed. The science of it is part of a long and tedious search, which we have not completed yet. Just because we do not know ALL of the facts, does not mean "Oh! It must prove there is a God!"

The study of ancient humans is a facinating thing. One of the easiest paths toward this is the Walking with Cavemen DVD from BBC Video. I recommend watching it with a case of Troegs' Sunshine Pils. It's a fine combination. In the meantime, leave the bastardization of science and embrace your inner monkey.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I won't argue with you since you seem to have made your mind up on the matter, all through the readong of your post I couldn't stop thinking of a quote:

"Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God." ~ Heywood Broun

You say, "Just because we do not know ALL of the facts, does not mean "Oh! It must prove there is a God!"

I say, just because we know some of the facts, does not prove there isn't a God.

Good exchange of ideas you've got here! Hope you keep writing. ^_^

8/14/2005 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*ahem*

All through the readIng of your post. ReadIng. Sorry about that. >_~

8/14/2005 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I happen to love Tim's red dong.

8/14/2005 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're all forgetting the Flying Spaghetti Monster side of things in light of this sensitive issue...

Check it out! http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/19/pastafarianism_flyin.html

8/20/2005 4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home