Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Junior Senator: Senior Wiener



Monday night after work I was detained until after midnight because I had to borrow Mom's car. Mine is getting part 1 of a 3 part overhaul done which should cost me well into the million$ before it's over, but I digress. I missed the Daily Show until tonight. The guest was none other than Pennsylvania's own Senator Rick Santorum (thank you Jon for this quick history). He's pushing his new book, "It Takes a Sandwich," because he's running
for re-election next year.

This guy is as conservative as they come, and more importantly, a real asshole. I have such a hard time understanding why he remains in office when that mentality of "traditional family values" being pushed down our throats by his ilk is such crap. He's living in this 50's television world where it's actually possible for a mother to say home with her children (because we know he believes that's a woman's place!!!) while the man goes out and makes an income that will actually support a family these days. He spouts out so much garbage, and people call it cuisine.

What bothers me the most, however, is that he calls himself a Christian, like so many other rich Republican bastards, and people believe it. I don't tend to do this, but here's a basic Christian belief. Check out Matthew 19: 16-30; Mark, 10: 17-31; and Luke 18: 18-30. You'll read that "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

How can it be that these smug, rich bastards are spouting out their self-styled Christianity and people lap it up like it's sweet nectar? It isn't about the faith. It isn't about morality. It isn't about what's best for this country. It's because conservatives are fucking morons.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing about American politics and am not trying to say anything about Conservatives or Republicans. I only wish to comment on your statement that "he calls himself a Christian... and so many people believe it". You quoted Matthew 19:16-30... a verse in that scripture must not be overlooked: Matthew 19:26: "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

The basic Christian belief can be summed up in one's acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Son of God who has paid for our sins. Nothing more, nothing less. It drives a lot of people crazy to think that people will just stand up and "say" they believe this yet live lives totally contrary to most people's idea of a "good Christian", but the thing to remember is that God is God. God is the final judge of what is in each man and woman's heart, not us. We cannot say who is and who is not a Christian because we can't look into their hearts. God can. And those who are lying will be judged by Him.

7/28/2005 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, those liars are gonna burn.
You see Tim, God loves you. He loves everybody actually.
He loves you so much he's going to let you eternally roast in a lake of fire if you don't accept his son as your personal savoir. Join the club, or else.

God says "I gave you freewill, so it's your choice..." and then God sorta looks around from of the corner of his eyes, and he smirks and chuckles a bit, and says "...but, it ain't much of a choice, is it?" and then his divine elbow pokes you in the ribs.

What's that you say? If God is all powerful, why doesn't he grant mercy to agnostics? Why doesn't he somehow spare them from eternal agony? I dunno, maybe he can't, maybe he's not as all powerful as people say he is - he makes the rules, he doesn't break the rules- or maybe he's not "all loving", just "some loving" or maybe, just maybe, it's all make believe and you and I are just talking monkeys on a big flying mudball.

Could it be? Could it be that Christianity is just one of many silly stories human beings invented? Nah, it couldn't be. Could it? But so many people believe, and for so long, and all those different religions that millions of other people believe, those are actually the silly ones and Christianity is the one true religion, right? I mean yeesh, it's the only one that makes sense.

8/03/2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Shari, there isn't really much to know about American politics except that it's a dangerous thing believing that much good will come of it.

I appreciate your comment, even though I don't believe in God. This doesn't mean that I don't have some affection for some of Christ's teaching. The part that I quoted, I think, is pretty straight forward stuff. Having money while so many in the world are living with hunger is a mortal sin, if there were such a thing as sin. At least from my point of view it proves that selfishness is a pretty standard human trait (and certainly true of me).

The final line that you quoted, "...with God all things are possible," I've always thought was the answer to the disciples wondering how they could live in a world without money. I figured it was Jesus' was of saying that God will take care of them even if they gave away all of their posessions. A little naive, but a nifty little thought. I'm a big fan of idealism even if it doesn't make sense in the real world.

With Christianity, the only time I ever came across TRUE Christians were the nuns that I used to know. They were not allowed to have posessions of their own without consent from the church, and lived a kind of communal existance. How they managed this was beyond me, but I think despite some of their misguided beliefs about sex, I thought they followed the teachings of Christ correctly.

All of that "what's in a person's heart" stuff is kind of meaningless if one's actions are hurtful and destructive.

As disappointing as it may seem to you, I tend to agree with the sarcasm in Tom's comment. Being granted eternal life just because you made the "right" choice or pulled the "right" lever when you picked a religion, doesn't really seem to be a fair way of deciding who gets in and who doesn't.

8/08/2005 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home