Thursday, July 14, 2005

Cake and Edith, too

I've been away from this blog for about a month now. The past four weeks have been too eventful for me to take the time. Shame on me, but I've been paying closer attention to news and assorted other tasty morsels to pay attention to my own display of nonsense.

I was in NYC this past weekend as well. Sucks to be home.

Anywho... Upon reading the MSNBC site about Bush's lowest ratings yet...

"Regarding Bush’s upcoming pick to replace O’Connor on the court, moreover, the poll shows that strong majorities believe Bush would be taking a step in the right direction if he appointed a woman and someone who supports references to God in public life. But a majority also thinks that Bush would take a wrong step if he chose someone who would vote to overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion."

...I came to realize that the public is filled with people who are, for all intents & purposes, more superstitious than religious. They want to keep abortion legal, but they don't really want to say anything bad about God (you know, just in case)! Quite frankly, I don't really see how you can be religious and still support abortion rights. Now, I would likely catch flak for this point of view, because the idea of one supporting the legal abortion, does not mean that one would support this in her/his own inner circle. I know that it's about the rights of your own body, but if you believe in God, you believe in the soul, and you believe any kind of "taking of life" is wrong (this includes Capital Punishment).

Several years ago I started having my own doubts about God & such, but everytime I heard the name Jesus, I still nodded my head like they taught me at that Parochial school so many years ago (they did not have kindergarten then, and it was grades 1 through 8 in four classrooms!!) It was more than habit or conditioning, though, it was superstition. I'd thought for years while I was certain that the whole religion thing seemed so made up, that I'd one day piss Him off and catch one from a lightning bolt.

Well it's a powerful thing. If I had the poker face, I'd probably start a church of my own. No matter what so many people say they believe, when they're alone with their thoughts (like in a voting booth), they're sure SOMEBODY is watching them. Yeah, somebody's watching you, fool. It's you're other personality, you nut job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home