I just ate a cupcake
What is it that makes us listen to music?
I've had "You Ought to Know" by Atlantis Marmasette going through my head for the past 3 days (unfortunately). I've tried to block it with "Withered and Died" by Richard and Linda Thompson, to no avail. Still, the experience has begun my thinking about why we listen to music.
I think - I ain't sure - but I think it's a community thing, part of the whole survival instinct. Something that gets members of said community to become more unified. Think of church services gone bad (revivals), Rock concerts, marching music (man that stuff really gets me feeling good!). For some reason guys with muscle/Suped-up cars tend to blast music to increase the potential for being noticed. Damn! That works like a charm. And for all the right reasons, too (sic).
However, there is also the picture of the lonely, despondant teen listening to loud music alone in his room as he contemplates suicide or worse. Could be this picture is of someone who feels out of place and the music makes him feel part of something, if not very tangible at the time.
Anyway, I hate music. It has too many notes. And I spend too much money on it. "Another version of me, is she perverted like me..." GET THIS DAMN SONG OUT OF MY HEAD!!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home