But of All These Friends and Lovers...
I've been thinking a lot about both trust and forgiveness lately. Several things have happened lately that have drawn my attention to my past, a long and silly past. I've had about a half million friends come and go, and nearly as many girlfriends. Each in their own ways were wonderful, and many were at the same time horrible. Usually the ones that stayed were more wonderful than horrible.
I've had what I thought were good friends betray me, and sometimes with those horrible girlfriends. I've had a few friends say terrible things about me behind my back, and even to my face in public. I've heard apologies and denials. I've lost touch with people whom I miss and wish I still knew. Love and friendship are often confusing things.
One thing I've learned recently, though: forgiveness, like trust, can be earned. And even if that trust is tested, a history of true and constant friendship will grant its own forgiveness. It isn't always within the power of the "trespassed" to withhold it. Sometimes forgiveness is bought in advance of what would normally turn a friendship sour. But don't test me often on this.


3 Comments:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to have dinner with her on Tuesday night and hopefully find a way to fix things or stay friends, although neither is really my style. I tend to prefer beating a dead horse or stalking until the restraining order is handed down.
And for anyone who was wondering, this "Friends & Lovers" post has nothing to do with the previous "Love You Take" post, even though I used Beatles quotes for both.
I'm glad you can forgive me for not going out Saturday. I was too tired and didn't get back into town until 11PM. Too late to want to wallow in self pity about our recent womanly betrayals.
Hey, it's never too late to wallow!
Post a Comment
<< Home