Thursday, August 18, 2005

Mr Butler

I'm afraid of old people. They remind me of something I'm not very good at dealing with.

One afternoon, a couple of weeks ago, an old man was in my bookstore and was clearly having some difficulty. He was very old, and twisted and hunched over, with the over-sized features (ears, feet, hands) of a person who had lived much longer than his body was prepared for. He had an accident while he was standing in line that the supervisor on duty had to clean up.

Eventually he left, and a few hours later a customer came in to say that he was still waiting for his cab. We did not know he was out there and he had not asked for anyone in the store to call a cab for him, so I went out to talk to him. He seemed only a little confused, but he was at my mercy. He had no way of getting home and he had been out there so long that he was getting sick in the heat. He had thrown up beside the bench where he was sitting.

After getting some information from him, I called his apartment building, an independent living retirement building, then a cab to pick him up. When I went back outside I brought a cup of water for him. Although he did not want to come back into the store, he thanked me for the water. When the cab arrived some fifteen minutes later, I helped him in.

After he left I called the receptionist at his building again to say he was on his way, and told them he seemed sick, so they would be aware of his condition in case there was a need to call a doctor.

Ever since then, I thought that I should call the receptionist again to find out if Mr Butler was alright, but I haven't had the nerve. I had done my duty. If anything bad happened to him, I did not want to know. I'm afraid of death. He was a really nice old man. I can't think of his mortality.

I don't want to know if Mr Butler died. With this one aspect of life, I prefer to bury my head in the sand. And if I never call, he is always alive no matter how much time passes.

6 Comments:

Blogger chindi said...

You should try working in a retirement home sometime. Jon and I did it for a few years. Eventually, the death becomes just a part of everything. One day someone was down for dinner and then two nights later they are not there and you ask someone else at thier table. They would sort of bow thier heads a little and explain in slow and jerky speach, that the aforementioned person had passed away, or had to be moved to an actual care facility. And now, living at my father's place, I have to look at the eventually demise of my grandfather who now has terminal cancer. I think you should call. It's always better to know thatn to wonder.

8/18/2005 8:11 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I don't know. I'm a coward. My mom's cat died earlier this year and I'm still sad about it from time to time. It's strange, but when I was about 19 my grandmother died. I was broken up, but the senior citizens at the viewing seemed pretty matter of fact about the whole thing. They were respectful, but acted very much like they went to funerals every week. The older I get, however, the more freaked I am by the thought of mortality. I'm willing to bet that by the time my number's up I'll go out kicking and screaming and swearing.

8/18/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger chindi said...

You know, you really should give me a call sometime so we can go out and grab drinks or something. Otherwise, the only time I get to say hello is when Jon's in town or I'm purchasing a book. Get the number or email from Jon.

8/18/2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Sounds good. My girlfriend and I broke up (again) so I'll probably have a lot of time to kill (although I'm poorer covering rent by myself). I'm also going to be in a drown-my-sorrows mood for a while, if you can stand that.

I'm at the bookstore most weekdays and Sundays, so feel free to call there, too.

8/19/2005 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Tim, sucks about Julie, but...

I do know one thing though
Bitches they come, they go
Saturday through Sunday, Monday
Monday through Sunday, Yo.

No really, that sucks, 16 months is a long time. I was just starting to get use to the idea of contented Tim. Now I have to go back to 'ol sorry-ass wallowing Tim.

She didn't like your sense of humor? Not that I think anyone could like your sense of humor, but that's a sure sign there...that's lousy.

8/19/2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

What?! Here I always thought that you liked ol' sorry-ass wallowing Tim. Well, get used to him. He's back and ready to be annoying.

So is Angry Tim, by the way.

8/19/2005 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home