Thursday, August 24, 2006

On Buck Rodgers It Was Called the Terran System

Pluto has been downgraded, which means the Solar System has 8 planets, not 9. I prefer this to the alternative of 12. I mean really, Ceres is an asteroid and Charon is a moon. I prefer the exclusive club where Pluto is shown the door rather than the all-inclusiveness of a planet named,"2003 UB 313 (aka Xena: Warrior Princess)."


I learned about the new classification on the MSNBC website via the web-exclusive video. In her report, the newscaster stated, "Leading astronomers approved historic new planet guidelines downsizing the Milkyway Galaxy from 9 planets to 8." I guess the Milky Way, being up to 100,000 light years in diameter is too small for more than 8 planets.

Oh, wait! This just in: everyone involved in that webcast is an idiot. Film at 11.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Bill Clinton was still president Pluto would yet be a planet. He had compassion that guy.

8/25/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yeah... uh... wait... what?

8/25/2006 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. I thought they were adding planets. Now we have less???

I have to figure it out. I will be teaching it in just a few days....

8/27/2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, it's all about definition. Pluto hasn't changed, Charon hasn't changed, Ceres is still the same and 2003 UB 313 is still Xena, but they keep changing their minds about the definition of what a planet is. They're calling them Child Sized planets or something in the new and improved solar system. Actually, the solar system is the same, only the names have changed to protect the innocent.

8/28/2006 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home