Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You're A One-In-300,000,000 Kind Of Person

By the time you woke up on this Tuesday morning, the population of the United States is estimated to have reached 300 million. Throughout most of my life in tiny little Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, then little city Harrisburg, I would have found that hard to imagine. But now that I'm pushing my way through crowds to get a place to stand on the V train on my way home after work, it seems about right. The V, by the way, has the worst seating arrangement I've ever seen, next to the Philly metro.

Ah! But there's nothing in the world like living in a big city, and if given the chance, I certainly recommend to everyone experiencing life in New York for at least a little while. Sure, this planet is overcrowded. Sure New York has almost 2.7% of the U.S. population (over 8 million here!!). Sure, it can be difficult living so close to so many people at once, but there is also something amazing about it. Even though a trip to the post office, with long lines of people, each trying to remain calm in a stressful environment, tends to set off the pushy, middle-aged women with the heavy Queens accents (two of them on my trip today), most of the time life is fun in the Big Apple.

300 Million? So most of them have a house, with land, and are pumping out airconditioning, destroying the environment, and... well, maybe the world isn't big enough for so many people.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a report about this on NPR yesterday. Pretty interesting stuff.

10/17/2006 3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I have spawned and have thus dedicated the rest of my life to being a breeder. I'm pushing for my 20 kids to all be landmark population numbers in Britain. Go team!

10/17/2006 6:18 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

20 kids, eh Summer? Well, somebody has to make food for the aliens when they land. Thanks for taking the burden off me.

10/17/2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

That's a lot of smelly diapers. Oh man, that's a lot of smelly diapers!

10/17/2006 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home