Sunday, October 08, 2006

No Subway Series

Unfortunately, there will be no Subway Series during my first season in the NYC metro. The Yankees have lost, so the Mets (when they win the NLCS) will have to jet across country to Detroit or the West Coast to play their AL hosts. Even though I'm too cheap to buy tickets, it would have been great to take the subway trek between stadiums. Here's how it would have been:

On the map above you can see three circles of red. The lower left circle is where I would leave the PATH train to set foot on wonderful NYC ground. I would need to go to Yankee Stadium for the first games of the series (per the schedule, AL hosts first). As long as the weather is nice, I would probably walk East to catch the 6 train (green line) at 33rd & Park Ave South, then transfer to a 4 train (same green line, but an express in Manhattan) at Grand Central. The 4 goes all the way to Yankee Stadium where I drew the top red circle on this map.

Of course, if I were to just go from Yankee Stadium to Shea Stadium, it would be an easy return on the 4, but switch to the purple line 7 train at Grand Central, then out to thered circle I've drawn on the right. Having to go home first, it gets more complicated. The subway series would have been nice, but Alas, it will not be.

Worse yet, I've heard that Joe Torre will be on the outs because the Yankees lost. I guess "the buck stops here" actually means something in baseball. Unfortunately it no longer does in politics. For some reason BushCo is still dishing out bad policies. And in the meantime our subways still have to be protected for terrorist threats. NYC is always at Orange when the rest of the country enjoys a mellow Yellow terror threat.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

please don't talk about a subject you obviously don't know much about. while it's true the majority of new yorkers had the mets in the series as of mid-july, they still have to earn their way there. as of today, the series w/the cardinals is tied @ a game apiece and the cards are up 3-0 early in game 3. perhaps the cards will be traveling to detroit rock city!

10/14/2006 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home