The Search Is Over, But Not As I Hoped.
As of Monday night, I will reach the end of major combat operations. By this I mean I shall have released the fate of finding my cat, Mona, to the hope of her willing return, rather than by my own search.
For the past week I have spent almost every evening after work in my parents' neighborhood, the field behind their house, and the nearby woods searching with 75,000 candlepower flashlight and rattling her favorite toy (a plastic ball with interior bell) for some sign of her with no luck. Today I went to the Lancaster Humane League with some hope of finding her, and Sunday I will try the Harrisburg Humane Society. I expect no great reunion, but I am still in "try anything" mode, so I'll go there with a sliver of hope. Either Sunday or Monday I will make one last attempt at flyer dispertion among the homes within a 2 mile radius of my parents' house. But the exhaustion of the search of this past week has allowed me to ignore such things as bills, completion of moving into my new apartment, and this blog, among other duties. There is only so long I can put off life over the loss of a beloved pet. It is becoming time to move on.
For anyone who understands the attachment of a furry critter, I'd like to show a picture of my lost love. Her name is Ramona. Her temperment was rough playful. Her spirit could not be contained in a small apartment. So tonight my exgirlfriend/dear friend (who introduced Mona into my life) raised a toast with me to the memory of a lost companion: May she be safe. May she be happy. May she live a long and healthy life. Goodbye Mona. You will be missed.


4 Comments:
Even though I don't want this to seem flip (I'm very sad about all of this), I thought I should throw in the Soul Asylum lyrics before Tom does so:
Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a slow torch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning
So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
Promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep
It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray
CHORUS
Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here no there
Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded
I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train
Everything is cut and dry
Day and night, earth and sky
Somehow I just don't believe it
CHORUS
Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughin' at the rain
Little out of touch, little insane
Just easier than dealing with the pain
Runaway train never comin' back
Runaway train tearin' up the track
Runaway train burnin' in my veins
Runaway but it always seems the same
May Mona find another life with other adoring humans, Tim. My heart goes out to you --- unconditional love is hard to lose. May you find or may it find you again when the time is right. *hugs* ~gracie & Pookie
Here’s some advice though I bet you have tried.
Our cat ran away for about 3 days once when it was cold as hell up here and she eventually came back.
Open a can of food at her regular feeding time and put it as close to a window or door as you can. Call her as much as is possible over the last hours you have left. Get a bag, you may have to catch her. If she runs DO NOT GIVE CHASE. She is likely freaked out right now and will be skittish, even though she knows you.
I am real sorry.
and to be a "copycat" from Gracie...
"manly handshakes" from Steve and Sam the Cat(though she is very much a girl).
i thought about having a blog through this site, but had realized i started one on xanga. so instead of having like a million blogs randomly, visit my xanga: www.xanga.com/joost_elffers
i miss mona too. she was a rare kind of kitty...even though she gave us hell on a daily basis, she had a spell on us.
Post a Comment
<< Home