Goodbye Mona
Before I left NYC on Monday, I had plans for writing about the wonderful time I experienced. I still hope to do this, but today I'm sad and need to write about something different.
Because my apartment is on the top floor, I worried that my cat could be uncomfortably hot while I was away for nearly four days (the air conditioner is still in storage). She's also never been alone for an extended period of time, so I asked my parents to take care of her for the weekend. My parents have two cats as well, and I knew my mother would be at the house all weekend, so I thought it was a good idea to leave Mona, my cat, with them.
Everyday I was away I called my mom to ask how Mona was doing. Initially the cat didn't want to come out of the bathroom where we put the pet carrier and her litterbox, but after a day or two, she started following my mother around the house as she went about her daily chores and rituals.
On Monday, during my 3+ hour trip back from New York, I called again to see how she was doing, and to let them know I'd be back to pick her up in just a couple of hours. My mother, upset, couldn't talk to me, so my father took the phone. "Your mother is devistated about this," he told me, "Mona got out through an open window."
Because of the heat, my mom had opened a window in her bedroom, assuming there was a screen there as well, but as absent minded as she is these days, she didn't think to check. They don't know when my cat escaped, but they haven't seen her in almost 48 hours now. I love my mother dearly, and though I'm sad and angry about Mona being able to run away, I know it was just an accident.
Last night and this morning was especially rough for me. Over the past year, I have grown accustomed to the trouble she caused. She was an explorer and liked to get into boxes and closets she should have left alone. She was forever knocking over items and attacking my shoes. But she always gave me kisses in the morning, liked to play fetch and enjoyed drinking the running water in the bathroom sink while I was in the bathroom every morning. She played rough, I still have the scars to prove this, but she was a sweet companion.
She came into my life forcefully, when my ex-girlfriend brought her home from work one day. I told the ex that I would not be responsible for the cat, but after we broke up, she didn't want the cat any longer either. I took her because I grew attached to her little grey face, but I knew she would be trouble for as long as I had her. I never imagined she would be gone so quickly.
I miss you, Mona. I hope you're safe wherever you are.


5 Comments:
Tim, I am really sorry about your cat. I tell you I actually got a lump in my throat reading about it. I hope somehow you find her.
Thank you, Steve.
I've taken flyers to about 80 homes in the neighborhood so far. I'm exhausted, but I'm going to do what I can to find her.
I hope she's safe.
Born free, as free as the wind blows
As free as the grass grows
Born free to follow your heart
Live free and beauty surrounds you
The world still astounds you
Each time you look at a star
Stay free, where no walls divide you
You're free as the roaring tide
So there's no need to hide
Born free, and life is worth living
But only worth living
'cause you're born free
(Stay free, where no walls divide you)
You're free as the roaring tide
So there's no need to hide
Born free, and life is worth living
But only worth living
'cause you're born free
Tim: Hugs to you and wishes for a safe Mona. I thought I'd lost my kitty after first moving here and I have never felt such gut-wrenching sorrow in my life. She came back ... hoping Mona knows where she can get food & Mom/Dad hold her tight until you can get her ... ~gracie
i'm so sorry tim. i knew i should've never brought her home. but she was so small, and rambunctious...all the other healthy kittens were taken. that would've left her with the sick ones, and she didn't deserve that. when i drove home with her in the box, she just curled up in a corner and slept. she was a little gem. and you were so good to her. and i decided to name her after the ramones, and you contently agreed. even though you yelled at me for letting her drink from the sink, you let her do it in your custody because you knew she was just a kitty-bean. she was lucky to have you caring for her.
Post a Comment
<< Home