Friday, April 21, 2006

Oh! The Places You Can't Go!

Rising gas price. Restrictions. Restrictions.

In today's news we see that oil has hit $74 a barrel. Another record! Yippee!! Further reading reveals that:

"Analysts say oil prices are likely to climb higher in the weeks ahead as worries grow about how international pressure on Iran, OPEC’s No. 2 oil producer, will affect its crude output. Rebel disruptions of oil production in Nigeria also pose a risk to world supplies."

Further proving that the U.S. foreign policy shows the administration's incompetancy when dealing with Middle Eastern nut cases. Unfortunately, this isn't the only reason for the high prices. Mediocre refinery ability in the U.S. coupled with the overwhelming profits that domestic oil comanies have made over the past year (and the record compensation packages they give to their CEO's), explain how the energy issues are not just based on foreign problems.

But there is nothing we can do, is there?

I remember last year's chain e-mail that encouraged everyone to "go on strike" for a day and not buy gas. Hardly anybody did it because it was such a pointless protest, but cutting back on demand by avoiding the summer vacation drives would actually make a huge difference in gas prices. Even though I can't stand paying so much for gas, and I'm generally stuck at home to avoid constant refilling, I'm encouraged by the idea that high oil prices may force Americans to search for better energy alternatives, being that the realities of Global Warming don't seem to matter much to the population at large.

I'm going to start looking for alternate means of transportation myself. I wonder if anyone is willing to pull me around in a little red wagon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are going to do a budget this morning, it is costing us about 15 dollars per day just to get to work. If things don’t change I may have to get a new place to work.

4/22/2006 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said to Aging Hipster, I believe the Amish horse & buggy sounds pretty good right now! My one-way commute is 35 miles/day ... takes about 1 1/2 tanks a week for my jalopy. Luckily I only have my mouth & my kitty's to feed! Can't imagine someone with a family of 4+ with young children!!!!!! Why can't we build solar powered vehicles? There'd still be tons of $$$$ for greedy business people to make! ~gracie

4/22/2006 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home