Killing Time in NYC
This weekend I'm in Manhattan, visiting my friends Jon & Christina. They've been very lovely about me making a mess of their apartment just so I can get the hell out of Harrisburg for a few days. In case you ever read this, Jon, you're a better friend than anyone deserves.
There's something about New York that makes me relax. Where the mellow, back to basics mood is supposed to come from a stint in the mountains, for me the Big Apple remains the cure. I can't exactly explain it, but time in Harrisburg or on a trail in the woods for that matter (both places are the middle of nowhere to me), leave me feeling anxious and afraid. The moment my feet hit 33rd street (off the Path after parking the car in Hoboken), it was like an opium fix. Not that I've ever had opium, but from stories I've heard, there is quite the feeling of contentment. That is how I felt on Friday at 6:45 PM.
Being in NYC for the weekend has given me some perspective, previously skewed by heartbreak and (relative) poverty. And life feels pretty good. I still have no idea what I'm going to do for the next few months: new job? new girl? hit by a car? but whatever it is, I have some direction at least - I need to get to New York. And so I shall. The clock is ticking away. I make it late April 2007 for my arrival.
In the meantime, I'm back online with cable internet, so expect more silliness to come. Politics, Science, and the Occasional Rant will be topics more often than "Why'd She Hurt Me." I promise.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home