Sunday, June 11, 2006

Inspiration

A good friend of mine has done what I have been dragging my feet on for the past 5 years, she's moving to NYC. She had been having a difficult time getting a worthwhile job in the Harrisburg area, and for the past 4 months was toiling away at one that gave her experience but no pay. In a bold move that makes me feel like a coward, she began applying for positions in New York, interviewed, and is going to start her new position on Monday. In a matter of three weeks, she has done what I have been wringing my hand over for half a decade.

Granted, she does have one important advantage that I don't. She has a boyfriend in Hoboken. She will be staying with him for a couple of months until she can rent her own apartment. However, I do have a few friends whose couches I can sleep on for about a week at a time each, so all I really need to do is get focused, get a resume out there, get a few interviews, and get some balls, then make a bold move as well.

To my friend I say this: I may need to spend just a couple of months building up a small cash cushion before I follow your lead, but I promise to buy you a drink in a Manhattan bar to toast that we are both New Yorkers before the weather turns cold. So I either have to get myself ready and move by the end of the Summer, or I better hope that global warming keeps the heat up through the Fall and Winter this year!

Congratulations Julie! You've got bigger cajones than me. And good luck with the job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home