Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Alpha Colony One

I really appreciate a good retro-dream. My favorite is the jet-pack wearing, dome-city living, shiny-silver-suit-wearing one we were fed in the post World War 2 years, where we were actually certain that there would one day be a moon colony. Ah! Such a simpler time. Such complicated expectations.



Now Stephen Hawking has brought the dream back for us, the Geeks of America Council. In an MSNBC article, Hawking states, "It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species. Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of." He claims, of course, that there is the very real possibility that we could have a moon base in 20 years, and a colony in 40. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

It's time to bring back all of the cool Jazz Age art and cars with tail fins. We need space-age this and rocket-science that. I used to have dreams about moon colonies when I was young. Please people, listen to that wheelchair guy. Make me a moon colony!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, reading your post I hear Donald Fagan’s IGY playing

What a glorious time to be free….

6/14/2006 4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hawking rocks! I like Logan's Run except I'd want Sanctuary NOT the red "kill" button ... cool writing, Tim! Thanks! ~g

6/14/2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home