Goodbye Doesn't Mean Forever
About a week ago, a roommate (who shall remain nameless) downloaded LIMEWIRE (a peer-to-peer, file sharing deal) on my computer. Knowing very little about these things, I was hesitant, but I found a few songs I really wanted (the long version of "She's Always in My Hari" by Prince, "Go Insane" by Lindsey Buckingham, a handful of Buddy Holly songs) and though, "this is alright." Before I could search for Robert Cray's "Smoking Gun," Artists United Against Apartheid's "Sun City," and The Art of Noise's "Close to the Edit," funny things started happening to my computer. Programs I didn't start were popping up, and the virus warnings were all over the place.
I deleted LIMEWIRE, but the problems got worse. A half hour or more of virus warnings each time I turned on the computer kept me off of the internet for the past few days. Therefore, no posts. A friend recommended downloading AVG anti-virus software, but the virus keeps coming back. Now I know I have to wipe my computer clean and reload Windows again. I just did this a month or so ago, and it was such a headache that I have half a mind to just give up on the computer and become a member of society again. But I think I'll give it one more shot.
I may not be online for a this week again, but if everything goes well, I'll be able to catch up before the end of the month.
Later all...


2 Comments:
Hope it all works out. C U soon
we have a nasty case of spy ware but i hate reinsatllling windows, so i am also hesitating.
I use avg and I also use lavasoft's adaware. I have Limewire on my computer but I use the pro-version it cost I believe 18 dollars for the year but no pop ups or spyware. I did use the regular version of Limewire before and had pop up issues but it almost sounds like a virus in one of the files rather than Limewire, something my one daughter has done numerous times to her pc. There's probably something in the registry that is screwing things up if you can source the pop up directly sometimes you can find it and delete the nasty little buggers directly. I'd try adaware or something similar and see if that gets the rest of it that AVG didn't find.
Post a Comment
<< Home