Sunday, December 18, 2005

Time It Was And What A Time It Was (Bookends Theme)

For the past month I have done nothing but sit on my ass in a reasonably warm apartment, growing whiskers and learning what it means to be a house-cat. I've got to tell you, it was the best of times, it was the liverwurst.

I quit a supervisor postition at Home Depot after less than three weeks of employment due to a ridiculously agressive management staff who had a number of the supervisors walking on eggshells. I left without another job lined up (a fool's folly, by the way, if you're ever looking to be bold like that), and I had been living with my wallet close to my chest while I searched for something to avoid the imminent selling of blood plasma. Luckily, a friend let me know of an opening where he works (a police & rescue worker equipment supply company), and I begin Monday morning. It isn't the career path I want, but they agreed to pay me a little more than I expected (though still less than the bookstore), and it will get me though the next few months or so until I find a vocation or sell my soul.

The pre-Christmas vacation I've just completed would have been full of more blogging time, but unfortunately my computer has only recently been back online after losing a battle with a sadistic spyware villain. I also spent a great deal of my time feeling sorry for myself, playing fetch with the cat and mixing drinks at all hours of the day. The nice thing is, however, that primarily what kept my spirits up when I wasn't relying on distilled spirits, were the comments on this site made by my fellow bloggers (and Jack Sadler who needs to get his own blog before it becomes so 5 minutes ago). With the lives everyone has, and the blogs each of you keep rolling, it's nice to know that you're all out there keeping worthwhile conversation alive in an age where it feels like a dying artform. And it's a pleasure for me to read what you have to say on my site after I'm done with my attack on the English language.

Starting Monday, my free time will again be cut short, although I hope my energy won't be spent by the time I get home at 6:30-ish each weekday. I'll try to save an hour most nights to read each of you and write something reasonably original of my own. Now as we slip into these last two weeks of the year, I'd like to say thanks for visiting in 2005 and be careful driving home. I wish I could send each of you home with some leftovers, but the cat ate them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck from someone who actually had to sell plasma in the mid-eighties (Damn Reagan- it was his fault!). I did it to put gas in my car to look for a job. I think I ended up at Toys R Us.

Anyhoo- hope it works out for you. Its always best to bail on something like the Home Depot gig.

12/19/2005 4:17 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I did the blood plasma thing, too. I was in college at the time (Bush the Elder years, though) and thought it would be an easy way of getting some cash without having to find a job. It was one of the most bizarre things I'd ever done. They would allow two donations per week, and I think I lasted two or three weeks. Ah! The things we do for Ramen Noodles.

12/19/2005 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you have your blood drawn for plasma you are hooked into a centrifuge that sucks the plasma out of your blood and then your plasma is replaced with a saline solution and pumped back into your arm. This process takes about 15 minutes. In order to keep your wound from clotting the needle is treated with an anit-coagulant.

Once when I was selling my plasma for money to play Mortal Kombat I saw a guy who accidentally came unhooked from centrifuge and still had the needle and tube part in his arm. His blood was squirting all over the place with the tube flopping around like a loose garden hose. He had a white button up shirt that got completely covered in blood and he made an "Ahh Ahh" noise like he was trying to handle a hot potato. He earned his bottle of Banker's Club that day.

I love the police and rescue worker store. That's the one in Leymone right? Can you get me a discount on stun guns and body armor?

12/20/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

mmmm... Banker's Club.

I'm at a store on Limekiln Rd (Near New Cumberland). Unfortunately we don't sell paintball equipment. I can get my own discount. What's in it for me to get you da' goods?

12/21/2005 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home