Here They Come
I read on the MSNBC site two days ago about VOTER DISAFFECTION which may turn into strenght for 3rd Parties come election time. Because I am using a Mac, I'm having a hard time linking, so copy & paste this to find the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10286455/ The article shows how recent polls are preferring Democrats over Republicans on many issues, but not really wanting Democrats either.
The movents toward third party recognition are underway, as shown by Third Party Watch, http://thirdpartywatch.com/category/election-results/ examines the strong showing of the Constitution Party Candidate.
No third party has ever taken the White House (I don't consider the Republican Party of Lincoln's day a real third party because it was more of a reorganization of the Federalists & Whigs). However, third parties have taken relatively high level government office, and have had great affect on the outcome of elections. Over the past 15 years, Ross Perot (and his Reform Party) and The Green Party have managed to do damage to the major parties. Judging from the status quo of Democrats and Republicans in that time, I wouldn't doubt that the 2006 election will be a testing of the waters for alternate candidates, and the 2008 race will be up for grabs.
It could get very interesting.


3 Comments:
The problem with the scenario is 2006 is for the off year elections- so you would have to expend whetever money you have on individual districts which have been gerrymandered to keep the incumbents in office.
whereas the 2008 cycle is for the big enchalada.
Looks like there could be an interesting future ahead... I would love to see what would happen if a 3rd party got a good foothold in congress.
Don't get your hopes up, the odds are stacked against 3rd parties in the U.S., unlike in Europe where it is possible to have multiple parties and to rule by a "coalition". Btw I've re-launched my blog under: http://www.wideopenwonder.blogspot.com!
Post a Comment
<< Home