Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind... Again?
Last week I posted some info and links for the Green Party. This week I turn my attention to the Libertarians, who received 397,265 votes (0.32%) in the 2004 election, taking fourth place, just behind Ralph Nader, who ran on an independent ticket. Although the 2004 percentage decreased from 0.36% in the 2000 contest, the counted votes increased from 384,516, for a gain of over 12,500. The numbers have fluctuated around the 0.50% or less for several elections, but the 1980 Libertarian, Edward Clark, brought the numbers to a party high of 921,128 (1.06%). In the 1972 race, with only 3,674 popular votes, Libertarian John Hospers took one Virginia electoral vote away from Richard Nixon. Thanks to Dave Leip's Atlas of US Pres. Elections for the info.
The first time I heard about the Libertarian party was in the 1976 election. I was a seven-year-old trying to make sense of the voting process. I accompanied my father into the voting booth and asked him why so many names were on the ballot. Besides Democrat & Republican, the Libertarian title was the only party name that caught my attention. Libertarian sounded like liberty, and that was a big deal for a kid during the bicentennial. By 1977, I no longer cared.
Then came a pro-military, war-hawk friend in high school. All through school he was likely to have a book about military weaponry under his arm at any given moment, and talked about how his license plate starting with the letters CIA was a harbinger of things to come. During our senior week immediately following graduation, I remember that he indulged in something fun and smokey, which I found very out of character. By the end of the summer he was decked out in tie-dye and sported the Shaggy-look. Shortly after college, he came into the little record store where I worked and asked for my signature on a petition for something having to do with the Libertarian Party and he said he was running for office. He's still involved, it seems. Way to go, Brotha!
Originally, what I thought of as the reason for joining the party was to end drug laws so we can all toke up at will. Anyone who ran for office as a Libertarian I assumed also had a subscription to High Times. Over the last few years I've realized the party is much more complicated, and not so much a haven for huffers and snorters. It's really a group committed to freedoms, and is reminiscent of Thomas Jefferson's philosophies.
From the official site, I found the following positions:
- The Libertarian Party's anti-crime plan would do what the Democrats and Republicans have not done:
Respect the victim's rights and make criminals pay full restitution.
Hold all criminals responsible for their actions.
Double the police resources available for crime prevention without any additional government spending.
Reduce the number of criminals at large on our streets.
Defend the most effective crime deterrent available, the private ownership of guns.
Create jobs, end welfare dependence, and improve education. - Government, both federal and local, is the greatest single polluter in the U.S. This polluter literally gets away with murder because of sovereign immunity. Libertarians would make government as responsible for its actions as everyone else is expected to be. Libertarians would protect the environment by first abolishing sovereign immunity.
- If Americans truly want to help other countries, they can best do so not through failed foreign aid programs, but by improving the U.S. economy, so that U.S. businesses have funds to invest abroad, and pursuing free trade policies.
- Countries like Chile, Mexico, Britain, and Australia have successfully made the transition from their failed Social Security systems to healthy systems based on individual retirement accounts. In Chile, over 90% of workers have opted out of the government-run system. It's time America did as well.
- With less government and lower taxes, you could keep more of what you earn. It would be easier to start new businesses, build new homes, and fuel stronger economic growth.


9 Comments:
First, thumbs up, high five, platonic slap on the ass (like the ball players do), for your last three posts. Good stuff; the trifecta, if you will.
I really admire how you're doing research and learning more about these political parties rather than doing what a lot of people (myself included, at times) do where we just assume we know everything about a group based on their label or the perception the media has given us. Good for you.
As for your other two posts...what is in the air this week that is causing so many of us to write religion-related posts (you, me, JB? I think what the church does is give people something to belong to, so some are able to find solace there, just by belonging to something and being wrapped up in its message. (Funny thing today, a coworker today suggested that I get a life outside the nature center. I asked for suggestions on where to begin. She said, "Well, religious fanaticism works for a lot of people...").
Anyway, I agree -- all you can do is live your life now and let those you care about know how much you love them as often as you can.
God does seem to keep weaving in and out of our lives. It's like the lyrics of a song by the Sweet, "Love is Like Oxygen," although think of God for love: "Love is like Oxygen, you get too much you get too high, not enough and you're gonna die. Love makes you high."
When I'm down, I miss the fact that I can no longer believe in an all-loving deity. When I hear about the push of too many nutters shoving Intelligent Design down our throats or breaking down the wall between church and state, it angries up my blood.
I'm aware that I write too much about God on my site, but when my fine fellow bloggers, and the rest of the information superhighway does the same, it kind of feels like we may be on the verge of armageddon. We should probably jump into our bomb shelters and start playing "1999" by Prince. Better safe than sorry.
Thank you BPW, thank you JB, thank you my adoring public (sic)!
I've really enjoyed learning about 3rd parties, although some of the research I've done, although very superficial, has revealed some strange beliefs out there.
I started with the major 3rd parties first so I can learn what they're really about, but the obsession with 3rd party education has taken some odd turns. It's amazing how many of these upstart parties are couched in rhetoric of revolutionary days, but have no idea "if vs. how" it is relevant today. It's even more amazing how many pro-marijuana parties there are. On the other hand, "marijuana" is synonymous with "party."
And don't worry, I won't stop writing about God. I'm hoping sooner or later He'll write back to correct me. We'll see.
I am a Libertarian though I lean more to the left than some of my libertarian "brethren". I grew up in a family containing some very very Libertarians that if I compare myself to? I'm pretty darn liberal - lol.
I think it's awesome you are writing about the other parties too, and I also enjoy your "God" topics. I may not always comment? But I enjoy reading them.
:-)
Lisa Renee, you have many blogs. I think you should find out the record and beat it!
I like the look of your "lisa's test blogging place," by the way. Anything with the Capitol looking shadowing in the background is a winner in my book. And anything you want to say contrary to my political ridiculousness is absolutely welcome.
I was actually hoping you'd write something about how I missed the most important issue that Libertarians hold dear. An issue that few know about because it is kept secret by the Libertarian "secret society," and that issue is...
aaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh....
lol - then I'd have to shoot you - hehe
I'm like most people in there is really no "one" party that fits me. I'm realistically more of a Constitutionalist but the Constitution Party? Wow...I would never fit in there.
I agree with the decriminalization of certain drugs (but not all)
I agree with the serious reduction in the Federal Government and an elimination of alot of programs however, I don't support those being eliminated in total. I think the power resides with the State.
I agree we have alot of uncessary regulations that harm business but I don't believe they should be able to do whatever they want as far as polution. That's why I use the "liberal" libertarian title since I agree with alot of the concepts of the Libertarian party but mainly related to a Federal level.
I think the Libertarian party in some ways has gotten too much attention about the gun and pot issue from both members and the media. As you discovered there is alot more too it.
Oh and on the topic of guns? I believe we do have the right to bear arms and should be able to without having to register if we are going to have them in our homes. I do not believe we should have the right to carry concealed weapons anywhere we want. A property owner should be able to tell anyone they will not allow guns on their property. A background check is not going to realistically prevent anyone from owning a gun. It's one of those "feel good" laws designed to make us think we are being protected.
Thus ends the Lisa's libertarian rant - lol
and OT? Yes I do visit alot of blogs but? I always try to visit yours because I like it (especially with the new template it is an awesome color scheme)As has been said to me? I say to you.
You do good blog!
I was sorry to read about your grandmother, I'm still having a hard time with losing my Dad, the holiday season brings it up for me so I knew I couldn't really write much without turning into a blubbering cry baby.
Oh, before I forget, thanks for the compliments on my test blog, I was helping friend create a blog template so I created the blog to work out some of the problems he was having with it. I took the design from one of the template sites out there and then "Lisatized" it for him.
That one is probably going to go bye bye as well as the Bob Frantz one since we didn't pull off having Bob return to morning radio.
:-)
One last thing on the Libertarian Party...
I subscribe to the The New Libertarian, you might be interested in this:
This article if you have a chance to take a look at it. It's a rather honest look at the Libertarian Party by a non-libertarian.
:-)
I love Libertarians. they are the most principled people in the electorate.
Post a Comment
<< Home