Sunday, November 13, 2005

Hey, Sportsfans!

In the Midsummer of 1992, I went to my friend Darrell's house with a case of beer and we switched on the television for the event that would spark a long-lasting fanaticism for me. It was the Democratic National Convention. I got drunk, hooting and hollering the entire night. That election year was not the first time that I voted, but it was the first time I got excited about politics.

A couple of weeks ago, at a dinner my aunt and uncle had for me, I was asked if I followed any sports. "No," I admitted, "my favorite sport is politics." Within the last few years, especially, I've given up at least 5% of my waking time thinking about politics. This, embarrassingly, is about 1% more than I spend thinking about sex. Either I'm past my prime, or I've been brainwashed.



Over these last few months, I get excited everytime I see a new poll with Bush's approval ratings going into the gutter. Although I had expected for more indictments in Fitzgerald's investigation, I hope for more to come within the year. Everyday I jump on the internet to find some scrap of information that might give me a glimpse into the future of the political movement in the USA, something that will shut the wingnuts down for a while, but like all sporting events, excitement is fleeting for these reports and the long hard trek of the season (which is 1-6 years, depending on the races you follow) has many hills and valleys.

A couple of posts ago, I gave a list of 3rd parties that may never have a chance to change the political landscape, but I love to see them swinging. I'd love to see my old Democrat Blue back on top again, but not as they are. I know politics is corrupt by nature. I hate it just as much as everyone who's registered Independent. My dream, like they guy who wished steroids were out of the game, but hates the criticism of his hometown team, is that one day there will be a party without corruption, with views fairly inline with my own, and with a chance at winning a few seats somewhere, that I can throw all of my support behind.

In the meantime I'll forgive John Kerry for being out of touch and Hillary Clinton for being an elitist, but since I've moved, it's time to select my party affiliation again as my voting district changes. I may stay registered in the Green Party for a little while longer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

1992 was the 1st time I got excited about politics too, Clinton had that magic about him, and I was finally eligible to vote in the 1996 elections and I happily cast a ballot for him! The 2000 elections were a riot too, because of all that hanging-chad controversy, but of course Gore did not inspire. I have high hopes for John Edwards, I like that guy a lot, and I'm also happy to see Bush's poll numbers right where they need to be--in the gutter!

11/14/2005 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was too young to vote in 1992, but I did go to Harrisburg's Perot headquarters and loaded up on propaganda which I spent the next few weeks handing out.

At the time I just did it for shits. I didn't understand much at all (not that I understand much now, I'm registered with the Green party for Spaghetti's sake).

In 2008 I'm going to vote for Allen Iverson. Go Sixers!

11/16/2005 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home