A Christmas Tragedy

Here's a story that'll make you wonder why they ever let teachers tell the truth, found on Boston.com:
Sandra Jolly said her 6-year-old son's Christmas was spoiled when his teacher told the first-grade class Monday that "Santa Claus is make-believe."
D.J.'s teacher, Geneta Codner, was reading a story about the Tooth Fairy when the class started discussing what was real and what was not, said district spokesman Joe Donzelli.
When the subject of Santa came up, the teacher started questioning parts of his story -- How could a fat jolly man fit down a chimney? How could reindeer fly around the world in one night? -- and told the children that wasn't possible.
The teacher said none of the children acted upset or sad during class.
But Jolly and others disagree.
"How do you destroy a 6-year-old like that?" said Pam Sturt, whose son Bradley is in D.J.'s class.
Donzelli said the school's principal "had a real stern conversation" with the teacher. But there will be no written reprimand because she did not violate any school district policy.
"We have no Santa clause," Donzelli said. "We would think that teachers would use better judgment."
How on Earth can we have teachers telling the truth in school? The next thing we'll hear is that science teachers will be teaching evolution! Actually, I think this is different because there is real value in threatening 1st graders with "No Santa" if they are bad. I'm just glad for the sake of the teacher that she didn't say there was no Jesus either!
Realistically, it can be a sticky situation that is nothing like the teaching of evolution. Sure, science can prove that there is no Santa, but unlike Intelligent Design's effect of promoting anti-science, allowing children their beliefs in Santa, et. al. is a personal thing, like telling them that their parents should vote for a particular candidate or that certain religions were wrong. Of course, when I found out the "truth" about Santa, I didn't really care because I figured the presents were going to come anyway. I just knew I had to suck up to my parents a little more.


4 Comments:
Sounds like the teacher made a dumb mistake. There are some things you just dont do with certain age groups. JMO
I studied to be an English teacher. A few weeks into my student teaching experience, I started talking about "Monty Python's Life of Brian" to a very christian student.
I'm not sure why, but when I found myself handing out papers or something, I said to her, "Crucifixion?" as they do in that movie, and tried to explain to her that I was quoting the movie. As her face began to show disbelief, I started apologizing to her and saying it was, "a stupid movie." She eventually smiled and forgave me. I realized at that moment, with my foot in mouth disease I would someday say something that would get me fired if I stayed with teaching.
I applaud all educators who have the capacity to hold their tongues. It's a difficult thing remembering that you're surrounded by kids who might not take your words for granted.
Another example- "gay marriage"- largely an issue I stray away from (in class). Why? Its a phony issue to most people- dreamed up by the Karl Roves of the world. I am strongly in favor of it. It has come up in class once in a while- but I have Middle Schoolers and for the most part it isnt appropriate for a history class.
Once I brought it up in a lesson called WWJD- what would Jackson do? We took modern issues and tried to imagine what the old politicians from the antebellum period would do and I used it.
...even that was dangerous ground.
PS- sorry about the spyware some a-hole put on my computer (I gotta reinstall windows).
Post a Comment
<< Home