Saturday, December 10, 2005

The War on Xmas

Am I a freedom fighter? A Contra? A Rebel? Perhaps I'm a guerrilla, or more likely a gorilla (if you've seen most of my evolution posts). Of course my battle is part of the War on Christmas. Unlike Bill O'Really, however, I'm on the side of the Axis of Grinchis. Yes, I don't believe that saying, "Happy Holidays," is such a horrible thing. After all, my favorite version of the song is by Percy Faith. You can't get much more conservative than that!!

The most important thing about Christmas for me is this: when Linus stands under the spotlight on that stage and says, "...behold! I bring you great tidings of great joy!" Linus speaks of Peach on Earth (although I prefer Pears), and Goodwill toward Men (although I prefer the wool-clothed Salvation Army women). This speech is what Christmas is all about for me, and it always makes me a little misty. Seriously.

The phrase "Goodwill toward all men (persons)," means to me the ability to be happy despite other beliefs. That the season, and it's meaning for Christians, brings something more than mere tolerance. Christmas is about a return to innocence for those that have a difficult time remembering it. John Lennon was clearly not a Christian, but his "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" is one of the most beautiful songs of the season. It captures the spirit of Christmas because the holiday is about inclusion. Much like the tale of the battle between Allied and Axis armies during the Second World War, when Christmas Day was a respite from hostilities, we are supposed to think of love and hope during Christmas, not war.

When I hear someone say, "Happy Holidays," I think of this same spirit. No matter what belief someone may have, or what specific holiday one may celebrate, this person is still worthy of the blessings of peace and hope. Any person who thinks that saying, "Happy Holidays," is somehow a War on Christmas is missing the point of Christmas. I hope that Bill gets an opportunity to have his mind opened to the love that his religion offers this year and begins to see his brothers and sisters in the light that his Lord casts.

Christmas allows me something that is denied through most of the rest of the year. There is tradition, there is familiarity, there are cookies. Christmas gives me a window to my own innocence. You know, before I stopped believing in miracles, and magic, and stop motion animation. A yearly remembrance of pine trees is more important to me than the invites I get to High School reunions I never intend to attend. But I would rather a clerk at a department store wishes me, "Happy Holidays," than, "You get what you pay for. What do you expect me to do?!"

Oh! And what has Bill O'Rifle got against New Year's anyway? Isn't that one of the holidays assumed with, "Happy Holidays?"

5 Comments:

Blogger BPDubs said...

This "Happy Holidays" hoo-ha has to be the most dumbass debate on a non-issue that Fox News has started in the recent past. If you haven't already, check out Media Matters and Jon Stewart's response to a holiday-related O'Reilly smear (you have to scroll all the way to the bottom for the video clip; it's well worth it).

I agree -- I always thought that New Year's Day was included in "Happy Holidays." More than that, though, I just don't get what is so wrong with being inclusive of everyone. Say "Merry Christmas" to people who celebrate that holiday; say something else to those who don't. It's that simple.

12/11/2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

BPW, I saw the Jon Stewart response on his show. It was fantastic! I can't understand why anyone takes O'Reilly seriously at all and I'm glad the Daily Show did a nice piece on it.

Spanky & everyone: Hoppy Halidays & Hanky Hollywood to you all!!

12/11/2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger samb said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone would make an issue of this(well, maybe with O'Reilly it shouldn't be that hard to believe)... Why should "Happy Holidays" be seen as having some sort of agenda(besides spreading holiday cheer). Consumeralism has done more to destroy the meaning of Christmas than anything else.

On a side note, even though I am Christian I still try to celebrate all holidays, regardless of religion. Of course, this is more to please the god in my belly than anything else. My favorites are most definitely the Muslim Eid AlAhed(adequite Arabic food), the Hindi Divali(invigorating Indian food) and Christian Christmas(amazing American food).

(btw, did you notice my not-so-subtle use of alliteration?)

12/12/2005 4:24 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Funny but before the Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas debate, I never noticed which one I ever said and I surely thought it didn't matter either way! I find it really stupid that certain people want to dictate the verbiage that other people use, it's just so petty and there is no "war against Christmas" as Bill O'Reily would like us all to believe. Wow what sensitive skin those people have, they're willing to boycott a store just because they sell "holiday trees" instead of "Christmas trees".

12/12/2005 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to the war on shithead liars who have their own TV shows.

Better yet, lets try to get O'Reilly to boost his ratings by blowing his head off on the air.

12/13/2005 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home