Pardon Me, Do You Know the Score of the Game?
According to an MSNBC report, as of Dec. 6, 2005, "At least 2119 U.S. military men and women have died in Iraq since March of 2003." The page at the link also shows numbers by state. During his pep rally for the war in Philadelphia on Dec. 12, matter of factly Bush declared, “I would say 30,000 more or less have died as a result of the initial incursion and the ongoing violence against Iraqis,” and, “We’ve lost about 2,140 of our own troops in Iraq.” Of course since then the numbers continue to rise.
In the War on Christmas, so far the death toll remains at zero.
Hmm.
Well, I guess I know which war I will support.
Soon, my cousin David, an Army Lieutenant, and one of the nicest people I know, will be GOING BACK to Iraq. He was there during the "Major Conflict" and is now in training to go back in January. I would really prefer it if he were fighting the Salvation Army rather than Iraqi insurgents. An for those who think that not supporting the war means not supporting the troops, you better believe I support my cousin and his entire platoon. He's not unlike everyone else who has been deployed in the middle of the desert, but their mission now is to clean up the mess that President Bush put us in. This has been a badly managed effort, which was begun on a lie. How can I support the mess?! My support is for the troops, and they need it because their lives are at the whim of a White House that Americans cannot trust!


2 Comments:
I like the Christmasy decor....
I also agree with you on how silly the war on Christmas has become. I was reading the proposed House resolution to "protect Christmas Symbols" and a very similar statement as to how many have died during the "War on Christmas" was made on the House floor.
Reading the list of casualties in the newspaper every week makes me ill. So many of them are so young -- it upsets me that these kids are dying for...what? Blargh, I don't even want to start talking about that...
I have a classmate from high school who is over in Iraq, working as a medic in the army. He totally doesn't support the war at all but is there because there are few jobs more important than making those injured soldiers better, and I completely agree. I hate being accused of not supporting the soldiers just because I don't support the war.
On a completely unrelated note, Cro-Magnon Claus is totally hot.
Post a Comment
<< Home