Thursday, September 15, 2005

More On the Moron


Tonight, Pres Bush had a nice speech on how he's going to personally rebuild New Orleans with his mighty, mighty arms, so he can give out beads to girls who flash him. Of course, there is a lot of talk about, "where the hell is the money going to come from?" which is a valid question.

I agree that there is a responsibility to rebuild the city, but really, where should the money come from? There is an important idea that it's time for Bush to consider: GET THE HELL OUT OF IRAQ!

Here, first, is the hard reality. Sooner or later we will need to leave Iraq, and when we do it WILL fall apart. Without the American military presence, the more sinister elements will have a field day. It will be sad. It will be painful to watch, but we are trying to catch the sand of that country with our fingers.

Okay, now the not so hard reality. I don't really advocate leaving Iraq for dead, but for too long during this war the United States has shouldered the larger part of the burden of "saving" Iraq, and we can no longer do it. WE CAN NO LONGER DO IT. We need help. Bush finally said he takes responsibility for the inaction in New Orleans, and I think he has one more sin to admit. I think you know where I'm headed with this.

I want to hear Bush say he made a mistake (make that plural MISTAKES) with Iraq, and I want him to ask for help from the world.

I listened to Bush's speech tonight, and I would like to believe that he is sincere. I would like to believe that he can guarantee the promises he made. I don't trust him any farther than I can spit on him, but for once I would like to believe his rhetoric. If he does not change his Iraq policy, however, I just don't see it coming to fruition.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We must stay the course! We must continue to enjoy our success.

Freedom isn't free. They must not die in vain.

Rummy, you are doing a fine job! "

9/16/2005 3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it me, or when the shrub said "when a jazz musician dies in New Orleans they play a mournful dirge" was it not hilarious?

Who writes these speeches? How much are they paid? Who is it who thinks Bush can get away with waxing a poetic analogy? When writing the speech do they think "yes, yes! this is exactly like something GW would say". And what a weak analogy it was. Didn't it basically say that we all feel sad now that New Orleans is dead, but we'll soon feel better after it's buried? I think a Vampire Lestat reference of rising from the grave would have been much more apropos.

Actually his whole speech would have been better if he simply got to the podium, blew into in a little tuner whistle, and sang Born on Bayou accapello.

9/16/2005 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Tom concerning the "mournful dirge." (Viva Lestat.) I too felt it was oddly inappropriate. As if he might as well have said "Right now, the creators of 'Girls Gone Wild' can not film here. But through rebuilding we will again be able to see another video.'"

And is it just me, or does Dubya have this incredible way of reciting something his speechwriters have given him and then supplying the goofiest "Gee willikers, and I read it all by myself!" expressions, as he did just before the cameras cut away at the end of this particular speech.

Boingboing.net posted a fake quote from him saying that he hated the name French Quarter and wanted to change it after rebuilding to "Freedom Quarter." Classic.

9/18/2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

Your post and the comments after it are great. I wish I had written it! Hopefully I'll see George on the roof of my garage asking me to hand him some more nails as he tries to put the thing back together again.

"Hey George, I've got a new strategery for rebuilding the Big Easy. How about we bring back the 65% of Louisiana's National Guard that are in Iraq! That way those soldiers could see their homes and start to rebuild it with us! And George, wasn't the National Guard designed to guard the nation? Hence their name? Come on buddy you know that; they're not designed to fight wars. Isn't that why you joined them during Vietnam? Now get down off that roof before you fall on your head and start speaking Mexican like you said the people in Mexico do."

9/19/2005 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,

I got a big kick out of your girls gone wild comment when I read it a few days ago, but look at what I read today!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/20/news/katrina_girls_gone_wild/index.htm

9/21/2005 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home