Wednesday, March 21, 2007

And a Trip to Two Unhappy Bathroom

There's an AP story about the content of Chinese Restaurant food which isn't really surprising, but I always tried to convince myself that eating Chinese was the next best thing to eating a healthy meal. I prefer Thai anyway, but reading this story feels like the one-two punch after my experience of the other night, which I offer here as a cautionary tale to any who are as dumb as I am.

When choosing a meal, always look for warning signs, and take appropriate action. If you're in The Lower East Side, there are Chinese restaurants on every block, so if you stop in one to be overpowered by a smell resembling B.O., don't be too lazy to go another half block to chose a different venue. If you decide to stay and you notice that all of the cooks are wearing dirty clothing - not food stained, but actually looking like they work on cars between orders - cancel your meal. When looking at the sign on the door, and noticing that the business name is different than on the menu board, assume that it's a fly-by-night operation. If you decide to buy food from this place anyway, then notice that the vegetables are all shrivelled, don't be surprised that you will be spending most of your evening hours in the bathroom. Then after being up all night, so you're too tired to cook the next day, don't go back to the same left-over meal in the fridge that made you sick to begin with, thinking that you won't be back in the bathroom all night again.

Best bet is to just avoid SIX HAPPY KITCHEN on East Broadway from now on. Just because it's cheap, damn cheap, doesn't mean it's a wise choice.

The worst thing is I didn't even get any fortune cookies! Although if I got one it likely would have read, "better buy a bottle of Pepto."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw a similar piece on tv just a short time ago and was unhappy as I love Chinese food. I think it's just a matter of watching what is cooked in oil but I'm not giving up my moo shu...

:-)

3/22/2007 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home