Thursday, October 20, 2005

Leaving It Behind Is Good

Tonight was the last night for a closing shift at the bookstore. Tomorrow I have a day off, then Saturday will be my last day of work at the job I once thought was my long-term career. It feels good to leave.

I used to get very sentimental over anything that had been a part of my life for more than a year. Hell, I used to get crushed when a three-month relationship turned sour. Now, I'm looking forward to something completely different.

Should I feel like there's some kind of loss because I won't see the people I've worked with for the past few years? No. There isn't a reason for that. Anyone I want to stay in touch with, I will. Everyone else I'll remember, but I've had really close friends disappear off of the face of the Earth. They aren't missed, but they are remembered. It isn't cruel, it's just life.

I've gotten used to change. I kind of expect it. My father's generation expected to stay in the same job until retirement. He got screwed by that. I don't think he was ready for the New World Order (sic!!). My generation has been forced to expect change, now we get jumpy if we don't change job, apartment, partner, style, and point of view every couple of years.

God help us all when a Generation-Xer like us becomes president. Of course, it's got to be a step up from what we have now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Leaving behind anything, whether a job or a person, always causes me to feel a little bit sentimental. We are definitely living in disposable times and permanence is pretty much gone, which leaves everyone feeling restless all the time. But I just finished watching The Villiage and I wouldn't want that type of sheltered stagnant life either. People romantacize the past but moving on and having change has its merits too, and next year I'll probably start job-hunting and may be moving on too.

10/21/2005 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home