My Broken Record Has Such A Groovy Beat
In Harrisburg a trial began last week that many are comparing to the Scopes
"monkey" trial of 1925, when a Tennessee teacher was prosecuted for teaching
Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. Now the gag is on the other mouth. In 1987
the Supreme Court ruled that teaching creationism in public-school science
classes was an unconstitutional blurring of church and state. But those who
think Darwinism unGodly have fought back.
"monkey" trial of 1925, when a Tennessee teacher was prosecuted for teaching
Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. Now the gag is on the other mouth. In 1987
the Supreme Court ruled that teaching creationism in public-school science
classes was an unconstitutional blurring of church and state. But those who
think Darwinism unGodly have fought back.
*
So says a quote from the October 8th issue of the Economist. It's lovely to know that the Europeans are laughing at our backward ways. Of course we expect the Amish to have uber-religious views, but for the rest of the nation, enough is enough.
*

*
It's still so amazing to me that this had ever become an issue, let alone that Intelligent Design was mandated as curriculum by the Dover schoolboard. However, the Economist article gives me hope. Somewhere near the final paragraphs, the article continues, "Intelligent design's more sophisticated proponents, such as the Discovery Institute in Seattle, are too polite to say they hate to see their ideas championed by such clods." So I encourage you to read the article and have faith again in the future of education. To those of you who are teachers, keep hope alive. It may all be over soon.


1 Comments:
Yeah, I do feel like there's no room to breath anylonger because I'm being force-fed the beliefs of others.
I think I'm worried most about the future of science and the likelihood of youth to pursue real truth. I fear that the religious push will keep every kid doubting the evidence of science because it goes against a creation myth.
Post a Comment
<< Home