Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Safe, But Not So Dry

My weekend in NYC was a rainout. I spent most of the weekend in wet clothes because I was determined to walk around Soho and Midtown despite gusts that made the rain come occasionally horizontal. Luckily, good friends and good beer in a variety of interesting bars made the trip another success. The only real drag was having to go through Philladelphia on the way home. The rudeness of the Philly transit workers is unmatched.



I enjoy taking the subways in NYC, and this weekend was a special treat because there was a police officer or four on most of the cars I rode, and in Penn Station and Grand Central there was the National Guard with automatic weapons pointed toward the ground, but always a noticeable presence. I didn't really believe that anything was going to happen, and my friend in NYC who hosted my weekend, thought there was something even more sinister at play. Now CNN is reporting that the entire threat was a hoax.

With the extra security around, I felt safe enough to get on the wrong train and end up at the 139th st platform in the Bronx, but it was really ridiculous. It seems like the correct information is never released to the public, yet I know there are plenty of threats we never hear about, and arrests that are made without the press saying a word. In the meantime, NYC has to foot the bill for all of the extra security. And what if one of those guns accidentally goes off?

Jon's right. I hate to be so cynical, but it really is suspicious that this this threat came out at the same time as the Rove mess was heating up.

P.S. Keep Intelligent Design out of my Schools.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

New York is such a spectacular city, though Chicago is better ;-). The hoax thing was a surprise, and I just pray that America will once again be a safe place oneday again.

10/15/2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home